Tuesday, September 27, 2011

CLAY WORKS: LUND, COCKRELL, AND CARR


CLAY WORKS2011
An Exhibition of Clay Sculptures by Columbia Artists,
Sandra Carr , Rita Ruth Cockrell and Richard  Lund.
September 29 - October 3, 2011
80808 Gallery 
808 Lady Street, Columbia, SC 29201-3104
Opening Reception
Friday Sept. 30, 2011
Meet the Artists 6-9 pm 
Gallery Hours:
Thurs. Sept. 29,  10-5pm
Fri. Sept 30,        10-4pm
Sat. Oct. 1,         12-4pm
Sun. Oct 2,         12-4pm
Mon. Oct 3,         10-5pm 
If you have any question please call 
Richard Lund   954-812-8342  or  Sandra Carr   803-665-6255  
The Carolinas have a long history and tradition of artists who work with clay. 
This exhibition Clay Works 2011 features three contemporary artists who live and work in South Carolina: 
Sandra Carr 
Rita Ruth Cockrell  
Richard  Lund. 
Each of the artists use clay as a sculpting medium.  Rather  than make functional pieces, they use clay as a medium for personal expression. Each has a distinctive style.  They create sculptures  with conceptual meaning, taking the viewer past the decorative to a more emotional experience.
Artist Statements:
Sandra Carr 
Clay represents healing for me as an artist. It has been forgiving, stable and has the capacity to change when altered by outside influences. All characteristics I admire and strive for. Sculpting figurative pieces allows me to tell a story in my work or communicate a feeling. It speaks for me when I choose not to.    
Rita Ruth Cockrell
Born and raised in South Carolina, I love this place, every road side weed, every red clay road, leopard clay bank, shadow of white sand. After traumatic event with myself, my mother and authorities, I began working in any medium that came  my way, always going toward the inside to go outside. Believing that if I can be good enough, some aspect of truth or beauty would help me understand that even if I can't get there, the glimmering of the source comforts me. 
Richard  Lund
I moved to Columbia South Carolina three and a half years ago. Shortly after I arrived I joined the City of Columbia Arts Center studio which began my working with clay. I have been an artist many years creating paintings, photographs and sculptures but clay was a new exciting medium for me. Sculpting in air dry clay offers me a seductive tactile experience that other mediums can not give. As I mold, move and pinch the clay with my hands it allows  me to  easily release my ever changing  imagination and ideas realizing them in three dimensions.  





No comments: